Thursday, December 31, 2009

Update - 2010

Shocking but true - job hunting, book pitching, and master's degree-ing can suck the life out of a year. Then there's kid-raising, the usual single mom stuff, cranky parole boards, etc. Regardless, I shall return. Many times in the past few months I've wanted nothing more than to post humorous, obtuse rantings about tweens, terriers, and transfattys,but writing papers about data analysis and decision modeling saps the funny from my body like a giggle-adicted vampire and all I can manage is a weak tweet or two.

In college, I've quickly discovered that it's not an advantage to have a sense of humor. For example, here's the cover of one of last semester's books -

This happy shot of a union rep and management shaking hands teaches us that we can all find a way to get along. Upon further study, it also teaches us that the union rep has been speaking into the microphone using his er, shop steward.

Most students might miss that subtle point, but that's why I'm here - to ride the ridge between sanity and serenity.

The job search is over, the book thingy is doing well, and grad school ends in a few months. My funny bone needs a workout...stay tuned!

12 comments:

Susan said...

Excellent blog. Please add my e-mail address to get your blog.Please e-mail my the title of your books and how to order them. Have a nice. Day. Susan

Unknown said...

Hi Annie,

Good to read a new blog.

Lairbo said...

Congrats on the job and the book, and good luck with the thesis. I hope it's on the theme "Not Being Led Around by Your 'Shop Steward.'"

WriterDude said...

Good to see you surface again. You had me worried for a few months there.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
insomniac said...

congrats on the degree-to-be, and happy birthday!

and not all academics are dry-as-dust, humorless, martinets...just the successful ones!

Annie said...

Thanks, everybody. I miss posting here, but I'll be back at it soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I think once you get multiple "buy my stuff" replies on your blog, you've hit the big time! :)

Congrats.

Annie said...

No kidding, Kristina. I cleaned up some of the web-drivel that has hit the blog, and put a filter on it, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry. I have to have it blessed first before it shows up in all its glory.

Jackulator said...

I just woke up to a furniture commercial where they mentioned loveseats, and it just popped in my head, 'the loveseat is a little old place where we can get together'... I thought it was funny and since I'm a songwriter I thought maybe someone should turn it into a Weird Al type song, so I googled it to see if anyone else had ever posted the phrase to the internet, and I found the quote by you on the blog of 'dave barry' and it led me here. Other than that, you and I are the only ones who thought of it! Or at least the only ones who posted it anywhere. That's pretty cool.

Ken said...

Well the curious part of me wants to ask about the cranky parole boards but I will leave it untouched. Might find out too much info.? ha.

oldfatguy